Want to bring you pup to your engagement session, but not sure what you need to do? First of all, YES please bring them! I love when my couple’s want to include their fur babies. As you all know I have a fur baby who is near & dear to my heart and she was in fact in our engagement photos & at our wedding! I’m about to give you all the info you need to make bringing your pup to your session a smooth & fun experience. Below are my tips & tricks!
1. Bring Treats & Toys: We all know that pups sometimes need a little motivation, so bring their favorite treats to reward them or bribe them! If they have a favorite toy or squeaker those also help get their attention.
2. Exercise: A tired pup is a well behaved pup. Take them for a long walk that day of your session or drop them off at doggie daycare. They’ll be more likely to listen & follow commands if they get their zoomies out beforehand!
3. Bring a pupsitter: Bring someone to watch your pup during your session. They won’t be in all of your photos so to make it less stressful on you, bring a friend or family member to hang out with them when they’re not in the photos.
4. Look their best: Make sure your pup looks as good as you on the big day. Brush & bathe them, make sure they don’t have any eye stains or goop. Accessorize them bring a bandana or nice collar & leash for their session.
5. Practice Commands: Practice sit, stay & whoa before their session. These are commands you will want them to obey during the session so reinforce them the week or 2 before so that they will be fresh in their memory!
6. Don’t Stress: Pets are sensitve to the emotions of their owners, so try not to stress especially if they aren’t listening it’s ok. They’ll feed off your energy so stay calm & relaxed. Have fun!
If you’re on your own property some of things will be different they’ll be able to run around during the session, but of course in public areas they can’t do that. I’ve worked with numerous pups so I don’t stress out if they don’t want to cooperate it’s fine, we will give them a break and shoot photos without them.
These tips also apply for your wedding day. I;m sure you won’t want to have a family member or friend pupsitting so look into a company like Ivory Hound
they’ll pet sit for you at your wedding. Another option if you are staying nearby your venue is to have someone bring your pup over for the portrait portion, so that you still get to have them in your photos!
Also, keep in mind when picking a location for your engagement session if your pup will be able to attend. Most trails in National Parks do not allow pets, if you want a mountain/cliffside session that’s probably not the safest location to bring your pet. Are they pet friendly some venues aren’t pet friendly so also keep that in mind if it’s important to you to have your pet at your wedding and in your photos.
What do bring:
-Water & Bowl
I love. This. Blog post. These are so great! Look at the fur kids just beaming! Yas!!
Aw thank you! They are adoreable!
I LOVE when people bring their pets!
me too, it makes the session that much better!
Oh my goodness, yes! A “pup sitter” is a must so “mom and dad” can enjoy their session too! These are great!
5 Comments on Tips for bringing your Pup to your Engagment Session & Wedding!